From a young age, we are taught about the value of a healthy diet, physical exercise, and seeing a doctor regularly. But, what about protecting our vision? At Epic Vision Eye Center in Kansa and Missouri, we take your vision seriously all year long, and we help educate the public about the importance of routine comprehensive eye exams. Read on to learn more about the steps you can take to protect your vision.
Common Eye Conditions Can Lead to Vision Loss
While many eye conditions can be corrected with eyeglasses, contacts, or laser surgery, other problems can lead to permanent vision loss if not treated early.
- Cataracts- This is when the lens in your eye becomes cloudy, affecting your vision.
- Diabetic retinopathy- Uncontrolled blood sugar levels can lead to damaged blood vessels in the back of the eye.
- Glaucoma - Increased eye pressure due to blockage of fluid can cause damage to the optic nerve.
- Macular degeneration – Your central vision becomes affected when the macula deteriorates.
Protecting Your Vision
- See your eye doctor regularly for a dilated eye exam.
- Since there are many eye diseases and conditions that are hereditary, it’s important to know your family history.
- Eat plenty of omega-3 fatty acids, which can be found in salmon, trout, halibut, and albacore tuna, and fill your plate with leafy greens, such as kale, collard greens, and spinach, to help improve your eye health.
- Protect your eyes with optometrist approved protective eyewear when playing sports or doing household chores and repairs.
- Talk to your eye doctor about proper workplace eye safety.
- Protect your eyes from harmful UV rays by wearing sunglasses when outdoors.
- Properly clean and maintain contact lenses by washing your hands before insertion and removal of lenses.
Support Healthy Vision Month by Scheduling an Eye Exam with Our Optometrist
With over ten locations in Kansas and Missouri, our optometry professionals at Epic Vision Eye Center are dedicated to meeting all of our patients’ eye care needs. From routine eye exams to pre- and post-operative care to contact and glasses fittings, we have you covered. Call (888) 749-7755 or visit us online to request an appointment today.