Healthy Aging and Your Eyes
We at Epic Vision Eye Centers provide services to help see you see the world clearer. Our experienced optometry team works with our patients to narrow down their specific needs.
Yearly eye exams are part of our lives. For people over 60, during these visits, dilated eye exams are a necessary part of them. It is a way to detect eye disease before the early symptoms become a problem.
Patients with diabetes and high blood pressure should see their optometrist more regularly.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, contact your eye care professional right away:
- Redness or swelling around the eye or eyelid
- Sudden blindness or blurry vision
- Eye pain
- Double vision
- Flashing lights
Common Eye Problems
Age is only one factor when looking at vision problems. But, as we age, our eyes do, too. It leads to further eye issues.
Common eye problems include:
- Floaters – Tiny specks that seem to float across a person’s vision. They are a sign of aging eyes, but they could also be a sign of a more serious vision problem.
- Presbyopia – Part of getting older is some vision loss. Presbyopia, however, is when you cannot read small print or make out objects. Pain is associated with this eye issue. Reading glasses often remedy this.
- Tearing – Light, wind, and temperature changes cause excessive tearing. Eye drops and sunglasses often remedy having too many tears.
Tips to Protect Your Eyes
- Wear sunglasses that block UV rays and a hat with a wide brim when you are outside to protect your eyes from the sun.
- Smoking worsens eye issues. The sooner you quit the better.
- Healthy food choices go a long way towards a healthy vision.
- Maintaining a healthy weight and remaining active help. It also leads to maintaining normal blood pressure which affects vision.
- Spend less time on a computer. Regardless of age, prolonged use of smart devices leads to poor vision.
Epic Vision Eye Centers
Whether your vision needs to be improved or you simply want to make sure your eyes are as healthy as they seem, schedule an appointment with our professional eye care teams. We believe everyone has the right to healthy vision, regardless of your age. Contact us today for your check-up.