The most common cause of vision problems is refractive errors. These errors include nearsightedness, also known as myopia, farsightedness, also known as hyperopia, and astigmatism. Myopia is a condition that causes objects in the distance to appear blurry, but objects up close can be seen clearly.
What Causes Myopia?
Nearsightedness occurs when the shape of your eye causes light rays to bend incorrectly. Rather than the images focusing on your retina, they focus in the front of your retina. The actual cause of myopia is unknown. However, this type of refractive error often tends to run in families. People who read, write, or work on a computer often are also at increased risk. This includes spending time on cell phones, tablets, and playing video games.
What Are the Symptoms Of Myopia?
In many cases, myopia occurs during the early school years through the teen years. The symptoms of myopia in children include:
- Frequent squinting
- Needing to sit closer to the television or in the front row of the classroom
- Excessive blinking
- Frequent eye rubbing
The symptoms of myopia in adults include:
- Blurry vision when looking at objects in the distance
- Squinting or closing one eye while trying to focus on objects in the distance
- Difficult while driving, particularly while driving at night
- Headaches brought on by eyestrain
- Eye fatigue
How Is Myopia Treated?
Fortunately, myopia can be treated very simply. There are a few different treatments available. These include:
- Eyeglasses: An eyeglass prescription can treat the condition, allowing you to see distant objects clearly.
- Contact lenses: If you aren't comfortable wearing glasses, contacts are a great alternative. Contacts can correct your vision just as well as glasses, and you won't have an eyeglass frame blocking your vision. Also, contact lenses give you a more natural look. If you are thinking about contacts, your optometrist will need to perform a contact lens exam which is different than an eye exam.
- Lasik surgery: Lasik surgery is a surgical procedure using a laser that can correct your refractive error. If you are over 18-years-old, if your eyes are healthy, if you are in good health, and if your prescription isn't over -11.00, Lasik surgery is an excellent treatment method for myopia.
If you are having trouble seeing objects at a distance or if you are having trouble driving at night, you should schedule an appointment with Epic Vision Eye Center in Kansas. Our eye doctor will test your visual acuity to determine if the cause of your vision problems is myopia. Since other conditions can cause blurry vision, it is essential that you see our doctor of optometry to rule out any diseases of the eye. Because many diseases show no symptoms in the early stages, you should schedule an appointment with us every year.